Sunday, November 16, 2008

Morning hope


I woke up with another number on my age, some aches and pains resulting from short sleep, and a deep need for hope. I'm still wondering why people that doesn't know us are hating us, why are they not willing to give us equal rights. I believe it is not only a matter of every state deciding to grant those rights or not. It is a much bigger picture that only Connecticut and Massachusetts are looking at. I wonder also, since the same sex marriage is legal there, are they having all the same rights as heterosexuals? Does it include immigration laws (since it is a Federal matter as far as I know)? What about adoption? In Spain same sex marriage applies to every aspect, just like heterosexual marriage: Immigration, adoption, inheritance, tax, etc.
I feel we are still so far away from something significant happening... at least in New York the same sex marriages performed in other states are recognized as legal marriages.
Why am I thinking about this? I don't want to get married, I don't really believe in the institution itself, but I have dear friends with kids that would like to have the protection of the marriage in their lives. Just for them, I need to speak up.

1 comment:

Reverend Maitri Libellule said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog, how important I think it is, and how I, as a lesbian minister, would love to know that I could someday perform lesbian and gay wedding ceremonies.

I applaud you!

Blessings,

Reverend Maitri Libellule