Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Death of Harry Potter! (or my comments to Ms. Rowling)


So, is he the one that dies in the last book?
Who dies??
Why would you want to end a story that has brought you more money than you ever thought possible, specially when you started writing the first book?
I'm sorry Ms Rowling, but since I am not actually a "Potter fan" (and I understand why they are not really called "Potter Heads") I don't have a problem speculating about what is going on with this book.
It is definitely an incredible phenomena! The secrecy of your books is much better protected than the secrecy of confession by a catholic priest who likes gossip!
I am one of those rare people who hasn't read any of the books or watched any of the movies. So I don't really care if he dies or if he continues to live. I rather not get involved anymore with fictional characters... I'm still recovering from the death of Dana on "The L Word", not to mention my addiction to "Bad Girls", but at least they have something I can identify with!
But I have to admit, Harry Potter has to have something. I am sure they are great works, and I admire you deeply, Ms. Rowling! You have made a whole generation that is growing up surrounded by video games and computer games, to go and pick up a book... and actually read it to end! Of course it doesn't hurt that there's Harry Potter merchandise, Harry Potter video games, and of course the most money making machine, the Harry Potter movies franchise!
I saw the lines of kids in London waiting for midnight, so they could buy a copy of your last installment of the famous boy with glasses. I even saw a brief report about how it was against Jewish law to open the stores and sell anything on the Sabbath (referring of course to the fact that the bookstores wanted to be open in Israel, so the fans could get their book on release day too!)
Do you have any idea of the influence you have all over the world? I guess you do. One of my friends who I respect very much is planning a literary course based on the Harry Potter books!
I went to your ""official site" and I loved the design! You have endless pieces of used gum packs all over! I guess your dentist is a very happy guy too. Is that a good example to set for your fans? Ruin your teeth chewing gum?
I was also very happy to see what a mess you have in your desk, just like me! Only I still don't have any spiders crawling around! (not that I've seen any so far)
So, since this weekend I've been bombarded with Harry Potter, I decided to just dedicate this post to him. I thought of writing also about the Tour de France, but those guys have still one more week to go and there's plenty of time for me to comment on them.
I'm wondering... are there any lesbians on the Harry Potter stories? I doubt it... it wouldn't be that popular! LOL!

3 comments:

Sony E said...

So, you haven't read any book, and haven't seen any movie of HP!?! Wow! I love HP, the story, the way J.K Rowling narrates is just... I love it.
I also don't know why does she have to finish a story like this, but, I think, after 7 books, well, everthing has to come to an end sooner or later. And who knows, probably after a while and if psycho fans threat her she decides to again haha (it happened with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
I admire her too, for the same reason that you mention, she make kids read a book. And as I told you, I love the story, and probably if you give it a shot, you would probably like it as well.
But, as you well know, there are any lesbians in the stories, yep, It wouldn't be that popular (for the straights) haha

Take care, kisses and hugs! Auf wiederlesen

Anonymous said...

Goodness woman. You haven't read HP? Any of it? It is so delicious. It truly is.

When it first came around I told myself I probably wouldn't read it because it is such a kid story. But my nephew at the time was RAVING about it and told me to read it. I did, and I was hooked. Even took him to all of the movies that have been out now (except 5).

Ishmael F. Ahab said...

Yep, I think that htere are no lesbians in the HP books. Maybe the reason for this is that the tone of the book is quite conservative. I don't know if I am right, but she just focused on heterosexual relationships.

Yeah, I think that the book will be less famous if there are some characters that are not straight.