Monday, October 29, 2007

"I never met a lesbian before"

I had two friends visiting Berlin for few days and they stayed with me. We had a great time, even though my body is so tired of all the activities that typical tourists do: we went everywhere! On top of that, the last two days we did some touring with the bicycles, so they experienced how's Berlin on a bike. I know Carol for at least 26 years. I met Jane recently at Carol's house. They are both straight, with partners, but very independent women. They know what they want and go for it. Talking with Jane, she said that she never met a lesbian before. I told her that I was sure she knew them, but didn't know they were lesbians. They both live in Venezuela, a country where being gay is something that it's still taboo, and it is even more for women. The lesbians there would hardly come out of the closet, and are experts at hiding it. Jane even assumed that just going to a gay/lesbian bar would automatically mean that they have come out of the closet. Can you imagine??
I was there, and I know that many people that go to bars are still very much in the closet! They have this undergrownd network where everyone is very aware and like to keep things secretly.
As for the last activity before they went back home, we went to a lesbian bar. At the door, they were a little scared, thinking that women would start touching them or telling them things. But then they realized that it was just people that went there dancing, have a drink or two and have a good time above all. I guess they learned a bit more about how it is the life of a lesbian. They met my girlfriend, we talked about many things, and I know they had a good time here.
I think it is important to come out just because of visibility. When people that know you for the longest time, suddenly know that you are a homosexual, very seldom would reject you. I had a friend who after I came out she stopped talking to me altogether. Another friend, said that she would ignore that aspect of my life but would treat me the same. Of course for me that was the end of the friendship we had. But my real friends have been very supportive, they accepted me and my girlfriend, and they know that what is important is that I'm happy, and I am still the same person.

4 comments:

dona said...

I think you make a wonderful point near the end of your writing....the people who are really your friends do not change when they find our you are gay. When I came out I was married and had asked my husband for a divorce, mostly because I didn't feel it was fair to either of us to live a lie....I tried to let him know I wasn't angry at him and that he had done nothing wrong....it didn't quite work out that way for him I'm afraid. He made a lot of threats about revealing me and making my lifestyle public - at first I was concerned, but then I finally just told him to do whatever he wanted to because I was comfortable with me and would just deal with consequences...well, you know what? He did a lot of talking to a lot of people, but not one single friend of mine ever turned against me! He lost a lot of friends, mostly because of his own actions, but I had tons of support for being honest about my feelings and being secure enough to be open about them....I still have those friends today and they all accept me and my partner as a couple....so, friends who are friends do not turn away I believe....thanks for this, Dona

Sally said...

Thank you Dona for your visit and your comment! I hope that many more people are doing that with their lives: living the way they wanted even against what people might think.
Thank you for sharing your story!

Gielen said...

Very nice post..i think you are right who loves you loves you regardless of your sexuality full stop. Funnily enough it was an ex-boyf who once told me 'Do not care about what others think,if they are gonna believe and take into consideration everything they hear and stop treating you the same for you personal life' then lets face it, they dont really love you! regarding, Experts on hiding it! very true!

sigh & smile said...

great post :)
i recently came out, it has its risk factors...i lost two friends who could not come to terms with it - one of the ways i tell new people i meet about my identity is that 'hey ive started a blog recently - you should check it out' - im finding this way of communication quite effective :)

http://orienation-undefined.blogspot.com/