Monday, May 7, 2007

The Diet Wars.

Today I was supposed to star on a diet. But the day was ugly and rainy, so I decided that I better start tomorrow. Yes, I am a procrastinator, but that is part of my charming personality. Besides, I haven't decide yet what diet I'm going to follow.
I thought of Atkins, since I love meat, but the problem is I love meat with bread, and with Atkins no bread is allowed.
Then I thought about the South Beach Diet, since it is basically the only book I've ever read about dieting ( a good friend sent it to me from Utah)... but I never actually finished it.
Some people say its better to eat one big meal just once a day, and the rest just little things and drinking water. I'm not too sure about that. I like the approach of 6 little meals a day, but then I am afraid that my "little" is not exactly the "little" that is suggested.
I keep in mind that the combination of dieting and exercising should be the key to the effective weight loss process. I love to go on the bike now that I have finally adjusted the new seat on it. But it was raining so I couldn't go out either.
I keep thinking of all those programs I watched on TV while I had insomnia! I remember the Susan Power's program... that woman with a very short white spiky hair that had so much energy on her it was disturbing! And who can forget Richard Simmons!! Is he still around? I remember Rosie O'Donnell saying that she would cry with Richard and his testimonials at 3 in the morning, while eating a bag of Cheetos and drinking Yoo-hoo. As a matter of fact, I think I even have the tape of exercise somewhere, because my ex-girlfriend bought it and left it in my house. I don't think she ever used it.
Lately I even signed up for e-mail subscription of The Biggest Looser diets. I wish I could've seen the show.
Looking in the internet, the amount of sites for e-diets and different programs is simply amazing.
I am sure that there are millions of other weight loss systems in America. Here in Germany people are not that fat, so it is not a big problem and there aren't any dieting programs on infomercials... at least I haven't seen any.
This is like the Diet wars! Only I'm the one fighting against all of them. I hate to be on a diet, my temper gets bad and it could be even nasty. There are people that just do it and even like it.
I remember my friends in the office, they were almost always on a diet! Once they offered me one of those rice cakes. When I saw it I thought: it looks like cardboard. They said it was great. I smelled it and it smelled like cardboard. They said it tasted pretty good. And what a surprise I had when I ate one of those rice cakes, and tasted like cardboard! Those are the things that make me be against all those diet foods! But I know I should do it, I have to face it. There is no escape to that.
So, basically, I should start the diet tomorrow. Or maybe the day after. I don't know. I'll think about it. In the meantime, I'm just going to get a cookie from the kitchen. Good night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in the US, and can say that Weightwatchers does work. Have tried atkins, south beach etc, and nothing worked. My roomates and I began in September, I've lost 25 lbs, my roomies lost 10 lbs and 30 lbs. My mum in Britain lost 45 lbs last year on it. I'm sure they have meetings in Germany. Meetings really help. You can eat anything you want, just not everything you want.

Sally said...

Oh yes, Weightwatchers! I forgot about them! I think they do have meetings here, because my girlfriend's sister is going to that, but she is in the South of Germany. Here in Berlin I'm sure they have it too, but I haven't found out. I simply didn't even think about it.
The thing is that I'm n ot sure if I'm too comfortable with meetings. But thanks anyway for reminding me of Weightwatchers!

Anonymous said...

there's a study and campaign in the US, saying that drinking 24 oz. of low fat milk daily will help burn fat and lose weight. I don't know about the validity of it, but I suppose it's worth a try.

http://milkburnsfat.com/

and posture too! good posture helps

sorry for rambling!