Saturday, March 31, 2007

Women's Tennis: a lesbian thing?


I am watching "live" the final of the WTA in Miami, between Serena Williams and Justine Henin. I am not really into sports. Going out on the bike is more of a transportation thing than a sport. But I do watch a lot of them since Eurosport is one of the channels I have available. Well, my point is, most of my lesbian friends follow tennis. One of my friends used to get the day off from work to attend the US, Open in New York. Of course there are many lesbians in the sport, real and fake (let's not forget the late Dana Fairbanks!) But who else follows this? Nobody I know that is straight is even interested in Tennis. So, that's why I ask if Women's Tennis is more of a lesbian thing. I guess all the people that play the sport are also interested.
And by the way, I can't imagine that Serena Williams is comfortable playing with such big earrings! But aparently she is! And she just won! Congratlations! (maybe the earrings helped her)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why tennis is such a lezzie sport lol but I'm just another example of that..I love tennis and played ever since I was 6 years old.
oh and I never understood how serena can play with all that jewelry. guess she wants to look her best even on the court lol

Unknown said...

Oh, I hope it's not a lesbian sport. At least the stands of women's tennis are all full and there are plenty of men to be seen there. I think it is more a sport of "class and social clout", therefore more acceptable.

The women's sport that is not getting attention however, is the WNBA and I will go to my grave supporting it. It is so disappointing to know that those women have to play outside the country on their off-season just to make enough money to support themselves. These are highly educated women. Some are doctors and lawyers who have chosen to give up their careers to play basketball. They play equally as well as men; but get paid less than a quarter of what the men do.
Yes, there have been a few women to "come out"; but the majority of the players are straight. They are married and have children. I was so privileged to be able to attend a game where I sat in front of a player who had just given birth to triplets a few months earlier and she had all of them with her.
Even though we all may not like sports, you are so right in saying that as Sisters, it is our duty to support them in their Game!~Donna

Sally said...

Well, out of my lesbian friends, only one really doesn't follow tennis. But at least they are getting recognition.
And as for what Donna said, it is sad that the players at the WNBA are going through that. I am not a basketball fan, basiclly because I never played! (I have a terrible aim, not to be combined with a 5'2 height and no sport vein whatsoever).
But I also have friends who support them. Maybe they should get more media attention. Hmmm... I'll do some research and post about them! We should all do that and contribute with women's sports!

Anonymous said...

A lot of lesbians follow women's sports in general -- including tennis. Golf attracts a lot of lesbian fans as well. Recently, openly lesbian golfer Rosie Jones has started offering golf-related packages through Olivia travel.

I recently took up golf, and I've found that it is very lesbian-friendly.

Lisa

Sally said...

Thank you Lisa!
Good to know about that.
That's another sport that I could never actually do unless is mini-golf. My two BIG reasons are first, my breast (I can't swing a club to save my life) and it is an expensive game that I don't think I can afford, at least for now!
And the only names that come to mind of today's golfers are Ochoa, and Sorenstam. I guess I could do ok in a Trivia Pursuit game, LOL!